Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Look Again Because You Can", by Neile Jones-Batie

If I knew exactly what I was gonna do with this blog then I'd probably tell you....but, I don't. Not yet, anyway. And, more than a dozen times I have daydreamed about pounding out a post about some rant or opinion I have. But, for some reason I just think the second post isn't the place to spend pages on how annoyed I am at Leann Rimes for saying she isn't sorry for breaking up two homes (not that it's entirely her fault, mind you) and she and her Eddie Cibrian couldn't help "falling in love." Dude. I hate to judge here, but it's probably bad form to say you aren't sorry - on national telllllevision.

And, the second post probably isn't the place to spend hours talking about all the legislation I am glad that was passed or wasn't. FYI - the puppy mill law was passed in Missouri!!! Thanks Missouri voters. Honk if you're on here. Or just comment. For those of you who don't know why puppy mills are bad or why buying puppies in pet stores is bad, let me know. I'll be happy to email you privately and give you some websites where you can learn about the subject. Or stay tuned. I'm sure there will be a post about that one day, too.

I was on facebook this week and was looking at a post Neile Jones from KNWA wrote that mentioned part of the proceeds of one of her book signings would go to benefit the NWA Women's Shelter. I knew Neile had written a book, but hadn't been able to figure out what it was about - with my inconsistent facebooking. So, I got on her page and began reading her posts. Erin Andrews from ESPN was going to be on that night to discuss her stalking ordeal. I have known Neile for quite some time and she is a smart and sophisticated woman with a big heart. After reading these posts, I realized that Neile's book wasn't a run of the mill broadcast journalists behind the scenes beauty secrets type book. Rather, this book told of her very own journey through her very own personal nightmare. I was frantic to get a copy. I immediately ordered the book on Amazon via Kindle on my phone (my first Kindle purchase) and began reading - and sobbing.

Neile told of her relationship with a man named Richard - and the devastation she felt at finding herself in an abusive relationship. Now, if an educated, strong, independent woman like Neile can find herself in an abusive relationship - then so can anyone. And, I mean anyone. Domestic abuse does not discriminate against income or social circles. It doesn't matter if your parents love one another and are happily married or if they are divorced and dysfunctional. It doesn't matter. And, it doesn't matter if you are a spitfire, a debater or a meek and timid person. Being in an abusive relationship doesn't mean you don't fight back. It doesn't mean you don't call a spade a spade and rail at the unfairness. It doesn't mean you don't curse back or argue back every single time. It can still happen to you. Nothing matters. Nothing can save you when you get in that situation. Nothing except you. That's what the book teaches.

Neile's book, "Look Again....Because You Can" was amazing. I bought 3 more copies at Sam's Club locally. It can also be found on Amazon.com or Walmart.com. I am proud of her for speaking out for all the women in the world who cannot speak for themselves, for all the women who still have to look over their shoulders and for all the women who want to tell their stories, who do have the courage but have families to protect.

So, good job, Neile!!! Amazing.

Next time I post, I promise I'm posting about my sweet little babies. Fine. They are 3 and 4. They are still babies, right? :)

1 comment: